Navigation Acts

Letter to the editor of the Boston Local:

British control of our trade is not new.  We have suffered under the Navigation Acts for a hundred years.  Thankfully the mother country was too busy fighting wars in Europe to enforce these trade laws:

1. Only British ships can transport imported and exported goods from the colonies.
2. The only people allowed to trade with the colonies have to be British citizens.
3. Commodities such as sugar, tobacco, and cotton wool which are produced in the colonies can be exported only to British ports.

Now Britain is back to enforcing these unfair “only” laws.

I’m for fair trade with all countries and may even stop importing items for my cobbler shop.  Thank goodness I have a good local tanner for leather.

Constance

Cobbler Shoppe

Trivia:    When did Great Britain first impose the Navigation Acts on our colony?

5 thoughts on “Navigation Acts

1. WHAT THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS, THE ONLY PEOPLE WE CAN TRADE WITH ARE BRITISH ENGLISH MEN! US YANKEE DOODLES CAN’T TRADE WITH INDIANS, (from India) IF WE WANT TO! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS, THE KING IS BEING SO UNFAIR ABOUT THIS! PLUS, WE HAVE THE PROCLAMATION LINE! I’M GOING TO TAR AND FEATHER ANOTHER BRITISH ENGLISH MAN TONIGHT.